W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-ws-desc@w3.org > February 2004

[rev] Agenda, 26 February 2004 WS Desc telcon

From: Jonathan Marsh <jmarsh@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:51:50 -0800
Message-ID: <DF1BAFBC28DF694A823C9A8400E71EA202B53547@RED-MSG-30.redmond.corp.microsoft.com>
To: <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

0.  Dial in information (members only) [.1]:

See the public WG page [.2] for pointers to current documents and other
information, and the private page [.3] for administrative matters.

If you have additions to the agenda, please email them to the WG list
before the start of the telcon.

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ws-desc/2004Feb/0051.html
[.2] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/
[.3] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/admin

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Agenda

1.  Assign scribe.  Lucky minute taker for this week is:
      Igor Sedukhin (fallbacks: Jeffrey Schlimmer, Dietmar Gaertner,
      Umit Yalcinalp, Youenn Fablet, David Orchard, Ingo Melzer,
      Kevin Canyang Liu, Dale Moberg, Paul Downey, Jeff Mischkinsky,
      Hugo Haas, Martin Gudgin)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
2.  Approval of minutes:
  - Feb 19th telcon [.1]

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0212.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------
3.  Review of Action items [.1].
?         2003-09-18: Marsh to review the QA operational
                      guidelines.
?         2004-01-08: Pauld to write up examples of schemas for the
                      Primer.
?         2004-01-28: Philippe and JMarsh will look at the ipr for 
                      test suite.
FTF       2004-01-28: Sanjiva to consistify the @name attributes.
FTF       2004-01-29: David Booth to suggest improvements to the 
                      spec clarifying "WSDL processor".
PENDING [.2] 2004-01-30: DaveO to write up a proposal for augmenting 
                      schema information to enable versioned data.
FTF       2004-01-30: Umit to write a proposal on @wsdlLocation
?         2004-01-30: Jonathan to investigate typo in last f2f 
                      meeting on _S_erviceType.
?         2004-01-30: Hugo to draft a note for the group around 
                      safe operations.
?         2004-02-12: DaveO to produce a refined proposal for Asynch 
                      HTTP binding addressing the concerns of folks 
                      that object to leaving replyTo info out of WSDL.
DONE [.3] 2004-02-12: Umit to update OperationName proposal to make 
                      clear that this feature is always required.
FTF       2004-02-12: David Orchard to produces a specific example of 
                      the kind of specification improvements he
                      envisions.
?         2004-02-19: Editors to add statement to Part 1 on
                      "extensibility changes semantics".
?         2004-02-19: Editors to add statement to Part 3 on "Actual 
                      binding format is not just defined by the 
                      binding, but also by the extension elements
                      in use.
?         2004-02-19: Gudge to send statement of proposed resolution to
                      issue 143.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/#actions
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0047.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0152.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------
4.  Administrivia
  a. Upcoming FTFs
     - March 4-5, Cannes-Mandelieu, France [.1]
       Joint session with the TAG (Thurs PM), XMLP (Wed noon)
       Agenda (due soon) includes all Part 1, 2 issues, listed here.
  b. Web Architecture Document [.2, .3] review:
       Volunteers so far: Jacek, Bijan, Jonathan
  c. (post-FTF) Charter renewal - everyone needs to be reappointed [.4]
  d. (post-FTF) Handling Privacy [.5] review

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2003/08/allgroupoverview.html
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Dec/0029.html
[.3] http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-webarch-20031209/
[.4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ws-desc/2004Feb/0033.html
[.5] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0119.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
5.  Task Force Status.
 a. Properties and Features (dormant)
 b. Patterns (dormant)
 c. Attributes (dormant)
 d. Media type description 
 e. QA & Testing
  - Response to comments on QA Spec Guidelines [.2]
  - Implement QA Operational guidelines? [.3]

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0000.html
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Sep/0074.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ws-desc/2003Sep/0023.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
6.  New Issues.  Issues list [.1].
  - HTTP binding uses static content-type header (Youenn) [.2, .3]
  - Double check URI comparison algorithm and relative URI use
(Jonathan)
    [.4]
  - Duplicate features with conflicting @required (Jonathan) [.5]

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0131.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0137.html
[.4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0180.html
[.5] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0208.html

Note that I am not treating the following thread as an issue yet:
  - Reuse faults by ref (DaveO) [.6]
I'm waiting for confirmation from DaveO that this is not obsoleted by
FTF decisions.

[.6] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0140.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
7.  Web Architecture Document [.1, .2] review
  - Jacek's review [.3]
  - Jonathan's notes [.4]
    Potential topics for TAG discussion:
    - Saying more about QName mapping (?)
    - Error recovery vs. not having to "validate" parts of the doc not
      used or examined by a processor.
    - Comparison of XML namespaces with Schema and WSDL namespaces.
    - Cracking a component designator URI.

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Dec/0029.html
[.2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-webarch-20031209/
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0164.html
[.4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0180.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
8.  Issue 140: Version attribute [.1]
  - Tom's initial proposal [.2] and follow-on proposal [.3]
    Volunteer to consolidate or enumerate the proposals for the FTF?

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x136
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0049.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0069.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
9.  Issue 120: Operation Name feature proposal [.1, .2, .6]
  - Mark Baker had some comments [.3, .4].
  - Request for being able to detect where the OperationName is
    located (Mark Baker) [.5]
  - First message only, or in responses? (Jacek) [.7]

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x120
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0082.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0173.html
[.4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0175.html
[.5] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0105.html
[.6] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0152.html
[.7] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0165.html


------------------------------------------------------------------
10. Issue 143: Referencing other type systems (Bijan) [.1]
    Text in 2.4.1 and 2.4.3 is inconsistent.
    Option 1:
      Clarify that extension type systems reuse the {message} component,
      (optionally) add a type system identifier property.
    Option 2:
      Clarify that extension type systems add corresponding extension
      Components, and {message} is XML Schema specific.

    Proposed resolution (Gudge) [.2]

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0046.html
[.2] TBD

------------------------------------------------------------------
11. Issue 144: Why can't message reference simpleTypes? (Bijan) [.1]
  - and non-XML types in general (Youenn) [.2]

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0046.html
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0131.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
12. Issue 145: How can you tell which type system is in use? (Bijan)
[.1]

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0046.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
13. Issue 142: Name of "message" component (Bijan) [.1]

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0046.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
14. Issue 132: Message attribute optional [.1]

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x132

------------------------------------------------------------------
15: Issue 122: messageReference semantics on binding [.1] 

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x122

------------------------------------------------------------------
16: Issue 125: Make messageReference mandatory [.1]

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x125

------------------------------------------------------------------
17: Issue 97: Schema language for SOAP encoding [.1]
   - Proposal from Jacek [.2]

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x97
[.2]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/att-0098/SOAPDat
aModelSchema.html__charset_ISO-8859-2

==================================================================
Following items pending additional input:
------------------------------------------------------------------
18. Issue 135: WSDL Specification readability [.1]
    "The WSDL specs contains a lot of formulaic text, making them 
    harder to read than they could be. A lot of the infoset related 
    data could be easily moved into an appendix. This would make the 
    bulk of the spec just as informative and a lot easier to read.  
    Could we move some of the formulaic text to an appendix?"

    STATUS: David Orchard to produces a specific example of the kind
    of change he envisions.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x135

------------------------------------------------------------------
19. Issue 115: Improving on-the-wire conformance [.1]
    STATUS:
    Resolution proposed at 19 Feb telcon.  Review actual text that 
    gets added to the spec before closing.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x115

------------------------------------------------------------------
20. Issue 112: Headers at the abstract level [.1]
  - Headers as first-class citizens [.2]
  - Glen's OOB feature proposal [.3]
    STATUS: discuss offline until FTF.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x112
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0004.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0053.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
21. Issue 104 Appendix E cleanup (using alternate type systems) [.1]
  - Bijan's review [.2].
  - Might want to add OWL support to appendix E
    STATUS: Awaiting concrete proposal from Jacek and Bijan.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x104
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Sep/0136.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0182.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
22. Issue 109: WSDL versioning [.1]
  - Use cases (DavidO) [.2]
  - Requirements (PaulD) [.3]
  - Scenarios
    STATUS: Awaiting 1 DaveO action.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x109
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0070.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0076.html
[.4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0082.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
23. Issue 79 [.1]
    STATUS: Dependent on
    ACTION: David Booth to suggest improvements to the spec clarifying 
            "WSDL processor".
    Jacek posted a relevant proposal [.2].

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x79
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0121.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
24. Issue 106: Using RDF in WSDL [.1, 2].
    STATUS: Dependent upon RDF mapping first draft.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x106
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003May/0076.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
25. Issue 92: Layering message patterns [.1]
    STATUS: Schedule for FTF.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x92

------------------------------------------------------------------
26. Issue 134: Proposal for adding Compositors [.1]
    STATUS: Schedule for FTF.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x112

------------------------------------------------------------------
27. Issue 117: Marking operations as 'safe' [.1]
    STATUS: Awaiting proposal from Philippe

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x117

==================================================================
Following items pending completion of Parts 1 and 2:
------------------------------------------------------------------
30. Issue 130: Need async request/response HTTP binding [.1]
  - Two formulations at [.2, .3]
  - STATUS: Awaiting proposal from DavidO.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x130
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0192.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0195.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
31. Issue 32: Support for SOAP 1.1 [.1].
  - Awaiting announcement of updated charter.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x32

------------------------------------------------------------------
32. Issue 64 [.1] Operations an HTTP verbs (Mark Baker) [.2, .3, .4]
  - Jacek's synthesis [.5].
  - Awaiting description from Philippe showing how properties or
    extensions can be used to annotate the WSDL with RESTful 
    properties.  Ask Mark for a definitive list of those properties 
    so we can consider how to associate them with property URIs or 
    namespaces.
  - Marking WSDL operations as "safe" (DaveO/TAG) [.6, .7]

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x64
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003May/0094.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Jan/0103.html
[.4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Jan/0111.html
[.5] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Jul/0095.html
[.6] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Nov/0104.html
[.7] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Dec/0021.html
Received on Wednesday, 25 February 2004 14:51:58 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 5 February 2014 07:15:02 UTC