W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-ws-desc@w3.org > February 2004

[rev 1] Agenda, 19 February 2004 WS Desc telcon

From: Jonathan Marsh <jmarsh@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 12:59:20 -0800
Message-ID: <DF1BAFBC28DF694A823C9A8400E71EA202A5F24B@RED-MSG-30.redmond.corp.microsoft.com>
To: <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

[Added new issues and links available since the first rev.]

0.  Dial in information (members only) [.1]:

See the public WG page [.2] for pointers to current documents and other
information, and the private page [.3] for administrative matters.

If you have additions to the agenda, please email them to the WG list
before the start of the telcon.

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ws-desc/2004Feb/0026.html
[.2] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/
[.3] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/admin

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Agenda

1.  Assign scribe.  Lucky minute taker for this week is:
      Igor Sedukhin (fallbacks: Jeffrey Schlimmer, 
      Dietmar Gaertner, Umit Yalcinalp, Jean-Jacques Moreau, 
      Sanjiva Weerawarana, Youenn Fablet, David Orchard)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
2.  Approval of minutes:
  - Jan 22nd telcon [.1]
  - Jan 28-30 FTF [.2, .3, .4] and Summary [.5]
  - Feb 5th telcon [.6]
  - Feb 12th telcon [.7]

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0061.html
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0010.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0012.html
[.4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0011.html
[.5] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0013.html
[.6]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/att-0035/040205-
ws-desc-irc.htm
[.7] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0076.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------
3.  Review of Action items [.1].
?         2003-09-18: Marsh to review the QA operational
                      guidelines.
?         2004-01-08: Pauld to write up examples of schemas for the
                      Primer.
?         2004-01-28: Philippe and JMarsh will look at the ipr for 
                      test suite.
?         2004-01-28: Sanjiva to consistify the @name attributes.
?         2004-01-29: David Booth to suggest improvements to the 
                      spec clarifying "WSDL processor".
PENDING [.2] 2004-01-30: DaveO to write up a proposal for augmenting 
                      schema information to enable versioned data.
DONE [.3] 2004-01-30: DavidO to write request to schema group to 
                      address the issue of schema not supporting 
                      ignoring extended content.
?         2004-01-30: Umit to write a proposal on @wsdlLocation
?         2004-01-30: Jonathan to investigate typo in last f2f 
                      meeting on _S_erviceType.
?         2004-01-30: Philippe to draft a note for the group around 
                      safe operations.
DONE [.4] 2004-02-12: Philippe to check on teleconference facilities 
                      for Tech Plenary f2f.
DONE [.5] 2004-02-12: Editors to update messageReference -> label in 
                      part 2 as well.
DONE [.6] 2004-02-12: Issue list editor to make this a Part III issue.
?         2004-02-12: DaveO to produce a refined proposal for Asynch 
                      HTTP binding addressing the concerns of folks 
                      that object to leaving replyTo info out of WSDL.
?         2004-02-12: Umit to update OperationName proposal to make 
                      clear that this feature is always required.
DONE [.7] 2004-02-12: Jonathan to add links from the home page to the 
                      edtodo and the media-types archive.
?         2004-02-12: David Orchard to produces a specific example of 
                      the kind of specification improvements he
                      envisions.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/#actions
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0047.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0124.html
[.4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0076.html
[.5] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ws-desc/2004Feb/0022.html
[.6] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x130
[.7] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/

--------------------------------------------------------------------
4.  Administrivia
  a. Upcoming FTFs
     - March 4-5, Cannes-Mandelieu, France [.1]
       Joint session with the TAG, XMLP?
  b. Web Architecture Document [.2, .3] review:
       Volunteers so far: Jacek, Bijan, Jonathan
  c. Charter renewal - everyone needs to be reappointed [.4]
  d. Handling Privacy [.5] review

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2003/08/allgroupoverview.html
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Dec/0029.html
[.3] http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-webarch-20031209/
[.4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ws-desc/2004Feb/0033.html
[.5] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0119.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
5.  Task Force Status.
 a. Properties and Features (dormant)
 b. Patterns (dormant)
 c. Attributes (dormant)
 d. Media type description (dormant)
 e. QA & Testing
  - Response to comments on QA Spec Guidelines [.2]
  - Implement QA Operational guidelines? [.3]

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0000.html
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Sep/0074.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ws-desc/2003Sep/0023.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
6.  New Issues.  Issues list [.1].
  - 139: Non-deterministic schema (Gudge) [.2]
  - 140: Version attribute proposal (Tom) [.3]
  - 141: Should WSDL say anything about whitespace in SOAP:Body? 
         (Jacek) [.4]
  - 142: Name of "message" component (Bijan) [.5]
  - 143: Referencing other type systems (Bijan) [.5]
  - 144: Why can't message reference simpleTypes? (Bijan) [.5]
  - 145: How can you tell which type system is in use? (Bijan) [.5]
  - 146: should WSDL be able to describe an operation with *anything* 
         in the message? (Jacek) [.6]

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0045.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0049.html
[.4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0083.html
[.5] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0046.html
[.6] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0110.html

Note that I am not treating the following thread as an issue yet:
  - Reuse faults by ref (DaveO) [.7]
I'm waiting for confirmation from DaveO that this is not obsoleted by
FTF decisions.

 [.7] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0140.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
7.  Issue 140: Version attribute [.1]
  - Tom's initial proposal [.2] and follow-on proposal [.3]
    (If this issue isn't ripe for decision, we'll move on fairly
quickly.)

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x136
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0049.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0069.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
8.  Issue 136: proposal to add in-optional-out [.1]
  - Amy calls for a quick decision [.2]

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x136
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0042.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
9.  Issue 96: Intermediaries [.1]
    Jean-Jacques to re-present the concrete issue.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x96

------------------------------------------------------------------
10. Issue 115: Improving on-the-wire conformance [.1]
    Need a volunteer to develop a proposal.
    Jacek did so (?) at [.2]

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x115
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0121.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
11. Issue 143: Referencing other type systems (Bijan) [.1]
    Text in 2.4.1 and 2.4.3 is inconsistent.
    Option 1:
      Clarify that extension type systems reuse the {message} component,
      (optionally) add a type system identifier property.
    Option 2:
      Clarify that extension type systems add corresponding extension
      Components, and {message} is XML Schema specific.
      
[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0046.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
12. Issue 144: Why can't message reference simpleTypes? (Bijan) [.1]

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0046.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
13. Issue 145: How can you tell which type system is in use? (Bijan)
[.1]

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0046.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
14. Issue 142: Name of "message" component (Bijan) [.1]

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0046.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
15. Issue 132: Message attribute optional [.1]

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x132

------------------------------------------------------------------
16: Issue 122: messageReference semantics on binding [.1] 

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x122

------------------------------------------------------------------
17: Issue 125: Make messageReference mandatory [.1]

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x125

------------------------------------------------------------------
18: Issue 97: Schema language for SOAP encoding [.1]
   - Proposal from Jacek [.2]

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x97
[.2]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/att-0098/SOAPDat
aModelSchema.html__charset_ISO-8859-2


==================================================================
Following items pending additional input:
------------------------------------------------------------------
20. Issue 120: Operation Name feature proposal [.1, .2]
  - Mark Baker had some comments [.3, .4].
  - STATUS: Awaiting updated proposal from Umit.
  - Request for being able to detect where the OperationName is
    located (Mark Baker) [.5]

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x120
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0082.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0173.html
[.4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0175.html
[.5] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0105.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
21. Issue 135: WSDL Specification readability [.1]
    "The WSDL specs contains a lot of formulaic text, making them 
    harder to read than they could be. A lot of the infoset related 
    data could be easily moved into an appendix. This would make the 
    bulk of the spec just as informative and a lot easier to read.  
    Could we move some of the formulaic text to an appendix?"

    STATUS: David Orchard to produces a specific example of the kind
    of change he envisions.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x135

------------------------------------------------------------------
22. Issue 112: Headers at the abstract level [.1]
  - Headers as first-class citizens [.2]
  - Glen's OOB feature proposal [.3]
    STATUS: discuss offline until FTF.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x112
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0004.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0053.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
23. Issue 104 Appendix E cleanup (using alternate type systems) [.1]
  - Bijan's review [.2].
  - Might want to add OWL support to appendix E
    STATUS: Awaiting concrete proposal from Jacek and Bijan.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x104
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Sep/0136.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0182.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
24. Issue 109: WSDL versioning [.1]
  - Use cases (DavidO) [.2]
  - Requirements (PaulD) [.3]
  - Scenarios
    STATUS: Awaiting 1 DaveO action.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x109
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0070.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0076.html
[.4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0082.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
25. Issue 79 [.1]
    STATUS: Dependent on
    ACTION: David Booth to suggest improvements to the spec clarifying 
            "WSDL processor".

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x79

------------------------------------------------------------------
26. Issue 106: Using RDF in WSDL [.1, 2].
    STATUS: Dependent upon RDF mapping first draft.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x106
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003May/0076.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
27. Issue 92: Layering message patterns [.1]
    STATUS: Schedule for FTF.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x92

------------------------------------------------------------------
28. Issue 134: Proposal for adding Compositors [.1]
    STATUS: Schedule for FTF.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x112

------------------------------------------------------------------
29. Issue 117: Marking operations as 'safe' [.1]
    STATUS: Awaiting proposal from Philippe

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x117

==================================================================
Other Part 1/Part 2 issues:

111: Simplified syntax?  
114: Name of wsoap:fault/@name  
121: Broken resolution of NCNAME or QNAME 
123: Requiring all operations to be bound 
124: Semantics of mandatory properties and features 
126: Confusion between binding and element names 
127: Behavior if import/include fails 
128: Two imports for the same namespace illegal? 
129: Allow multiple values for import/include locations 
131: Treatment of optional extensions 
133: Why aren't two input/output elements allowed to share the same 
     @element value? 
139: Non-deterministic schema

==================================================================
Following items pending completion of Parts 1 and 2:
------------------------------------------------------------------
30. Issue 130: Need async request/response HTTP binding [.1]
  - Two formulations at [.2, .3]
  - STATUS: Awaiting proposal from DavidO.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x130
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0192.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0195.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
31. Issue 32: Support for SOAP 1.1 [.1].
  - Awaiting announcement of updated charter.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x32

------------------------------------------------------------------
32. Issue 64 [.1] Operations an HTTP verbs (Mark Baker) [.2, .3, .4]
  - Jacek's synthesis [.5].
  - Awaiting description from Philippe showing how properties or
    extensions can be used to annotate the WSDL with RESTful 
    properties.  Ask Mark for a definitive list of those properties 
    so we can consider how to associate them with property URIs or 
    namespaces.
  - Marking WSDL operations as "safe" (DaveO/TAG) [.6, .7]

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x64
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003May/0094.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Jan/0103.html
[.4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Jan/0111.html
[.5] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Jul/0095.html
[.6] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Nov/0104.html
[.7] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Dec/0021.html
Received on Wednesday, 18 February 2004 15:59:24 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 5 February 2014 07:15:02 UTC