Re: WSDL WG request for adding multiple version extensibility into Schema 1.1

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 22:25:33 -0500
To: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@isr.umd.edu>
Cc: www-ws-desc@w3.org

On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 07:16:05PM -0500, Bijan Parsia wrote:
> >   It gives you
> > exactly the kind of extensibility you seem to require.
>
> Actually no. He requires "ignore unknowns" extensibilty *with*
> validation.

Right.  Granted, OWL can't express all the constraints of XML Schema,
but many of them it can.  Actually, thinking more about it now, the
"name" example is, I think, an example of the kind of constraint that
OWL/RDFS can't express (limits on container structure).  If the example
were Person/name/age then you could use OWL's cardinality mechanism.

Ok, so maybe the fit isn't perfect, but it should work in many (most?)
cases.

> If you try to validate a specific profile of RDF/XML, you
> could have similar problems.

What's a "profile" of RDF/XML, and what kind of validation do you mean?

Mark.