RE: Minority objection to requiring unique GEDs or required feature to distinguish operations

From: <paul.downey@bt.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:08:45 +0100
To: <distobj@acm.org>, <alewis@tibco.com>
Cc: <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

Mark wrote:
> Ok, but the key question is, does the algorithm ever use information
> that isn't in the message itself (note, by "message" I mean all
> information sent between agents, including, for example, TCP/IP and/or
> underlying protocol data)?

> If it doesn't - which appears to be the case as you've described it -
> then you're good (see below).  If it does, then meaningful communication
> cannot occur since there's an ambiguous contract in effect between the
> agents.

what about the example where "GuestOperation" and "GoldPayingOperation"
both accept the same message, but the response is different after i've
phoned the service provider and supplied my credit card number.

not suggesting that's what i'd like to do, just that's it's what i think
some folks want to do and is legal within the current bounds if the
dispatching mechanism is http://example.com/PaymentMustBeReceivedFirst

Paul