RE: Static vs. dynamic aspects of a service description (was Re: HTTP properties

We have a number of issues which are roughly in the area of providing greater description of what will be going in the actual HTTP deployment.  Some of these are 56, 164, 165.  The chair suggested that it might be useful to exhaustively list the "things/properties/features/constructs/stuff" that comprise HTTP messages that might be candidates for WSDL description, and then systematically analyze the list of "things" to determine whether WSDL should describe any/some/all of these "things".

In the case of dynamic versus static description, I think there is an evaluation to be made about whether it is useful to describe in WSDL what is dynamic in HTTP.  In the case of gzip versus non-gzipped, it seems that having the knowledge upfront about what a service accepts can reduce the network traffic.  Writing to the HTTP specification is sufficient, but perhaps not optimal for network efficiency.  I've heard lots of talk lately about wanting to improve Web service performance to things like mobile devices, and one approach to improving performance is to reduce network traffic.

We will end up having the debate about whether this network traffic reduction is useful, both in theory and in reality.  And we'll also end up looking at other aspects of HTTP.

I have no problem with either: we found a bunch of things that are interesting to describe because a variety of benefits ensue that are worth the cost, or the converse.  I'm simply doing what work I can in order to help the group make forward progress and get to LC.

Cheers,
Dave