RE: Issue 64 resolution: HTTP operations as WSDL operation names

The operation is the GET operation in the same way that a spec like Atom describes it.  Users use the operations in their application as the abstract methods.  However they bind it is, well, how they bind it.  They could bind a "PUT/DELETE" to POST ala Atom, but probably shouldn't bind GET to a PUT.  If you want to call it REST:GET, that's fine by me.  I had made an earlier suggestion to that effect because of exactly the same concern you raised.  I'm glad we are in agreement about having some trouble with the name(s), but I think the bigger issue is whether WSDL 2.0 should provide a constrained interface.

> And wouldn't the hypothetical user of the wsdl:HTTP interface want to
> restrict the input and output messages? E.g.
>
>       <wsdl:interface name="StockQuotes" extends="wsdl:http">
>          <wsdl:operation name="GET">
>              <wsdl:input element="myns:something"/>
>              <wsdl:output element="myns:somethingElse"/>
>          </wsdl:operation>
>       </wsdl:interface>
>
> I see a big, slippery slope on the horizon.

A slippery slope to where?

> In this case, I'd
> rather see
> a proposal that deals with the more complete functionality
> than vote it
> in piecemeal over the next several weeks.

The last time we made a single message with multiple related proposals, a bunch of people objected saying it was too confusing and wanted the proposals all separate.  I'm not sure if there's a single container proposal we could make that would be of the right form for the group.  I think more digestable chunks showing discrete benefit is a reasonable way to go.

> Additionally, I'm not too confortable introducing the concept of a
> binding extending another binding. It seems to raise more issues
> than it solves. Moreover, if it's really needed, it should find its
> way in Part 1, shouldn't it?

Do you have a counter-proposal for achieving the functionality of re-using a binding, ala an application binding re-using the http binding and just filling in the location?

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Apr/0003.html