RE: Which operation?

I would think the operation from the application perspective is getStockQuote.  It could be serialized on the wire as HTTP GET with some magic schema1 to URI binding as you suggest, or a POST of some new "QUERY" operation, or a SOAP operation with an input and output.  The way you would tell is from the binding.

What I think would be quite useful is to have the getStockQuote also say that getStockQuote has the semantics of GET for use in the binding layer, ie

     <wsdl:interface name="StockQuotes">
         <wsdl:operation name="getStockQuote" wsdl:webMethod="GET">
             <wsdl:input element="schema1"/>
             <wsdl:output element="schema2"/>
         </wsdl:operation>
     </wsdl:interface>

I think the binding will have some syntax to bind the name to the GET in some way, ie

     <wsdl:interface name="StockQuotes">
         <wsdl:operation name="getStockQuote" wsdl:webMethod="GET">
             <wsdl:input element="schema1"/>
             <wsdl:output element="schema2"/>
         </wsdl:operation>
         <wsdl:operation name="getStockQuoteGoldPayingCustomer" wsdl:webMethod="GET">
             <wsdl:input element="schema1"/>
             <wsdl:output element="schema2"/>
         </wsdl:operation>
     </wsdl:interface>

Now another approach is to model the getStockQuote simply as GET, ie.

         <wsdl:operation wsdl:webMethod="GET">
             <wsdl:input element="schema1"/>
             <wsdl:output element="schema2"/>
         </wsdl:operation>

But then an application can't really identify the operation when there are more than 1, like if the GoldPayingCustomer was added.  Having a WSDL defined name to identify the operation is a good thing for this and other reasons.

Cheers,
Dave