See also: IRC log
Erik Ackerman Lexmark
Mike Ballantyne Electronic Data Systems
David Booth W3C
Allen Brookes Rogue Wave Software
Roberto Chinnici Sun Microsystems
Paul Downey British Telecommunications
Dietmar Gaertner Software AG
Tom Jordahl Macromedia
Jacek Kopecky Systinet
Philippe Le Hégaret W3C
Steve Lind AT&T
Lily Liu webMethods
Jonathan Marsh Chair (Microsoft)
Ingo Melzer DaimlerChrysler
Dale Moberg Cyclone Commerce
Jean-Jacques Moreau Canon
Bijan Parsia University of Maryland MIND Lab
Arthur Ryman IBM
Adi Sakala IONA Technologies
Jeffrey Schlimmer Microsoft
Jerry Thrasher Lexmark
Sanjiva Weerawarana IBM
Umit Yalcinalp Oracle
Glen Daniels Macromedia
Sandeep Kumar Cisco Systems
Amelia Lewis TIBCO
Steve Graham GGF
Igor Sedukhin Computer Associates
William Vambenepe Hewlett-Packard
Kevin Liu SAP
Chair: Jonathan Marsh
Scribe: Roberto Chinnici
Scribe: approved without objections
Scribe: ACTION: 2003-07-31: Philippe to make a proposal for
fixing the HTTP binding -- PENDING
... ACTION: 2003-09-04: Phillipe to put the link to WSDL validator on the same place where other tools are listed -- DONE
... ACTION: 2003-09-04: Jacek to review Appendix E in light of message removal -- PENDING
... ACTION: 2003-09-11: Kevin to check whether there's a room available -- DONE
... ACTION: 2003-09-11: Sanjiva to take care of the extensibility of import and include -- DONE
... ACTION: 2003-09-11: Sanjiva to take care about REQUIRED AII explict (editorial) -- DONE
... ACTION: 2003-09-11: Jeffsch to record redundant direction info as an issue -- DONE
... ACTION: 2003-09-11: Philippe to write a response to Mark Baker proposing a property solution to HTTP verbs and ask whether this satisfies his request -- PENDING
Marsh: on removing message, issue with encoding style rules for rpc
Philippe: draft agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Sep/0120.html
Sanjiva: work still needed on the rules, Umit to propose more detailed ones
jeffsch: add discussion on this to the agenda
Marsh: first thing monday morning
Sanjiva: some work needs to be done before the meeting
Umit: would like to add some more rules to the list
Sanjiva: got the rules from soap 1.1 spec
Marsh: next topic is binding enhancements
... are some of those issues (80-86) easier/harder than others?
Sanjiva: 83 is
... goal should be to finalize as much as possible of the soap binding
... 84 is the biggest, 81 editorial
Marsh: let's spend our time on 84 and the "unresolved proposal"
... please review the soap spec in time for the meeting
... media type discussion is on wednesday morning
... could consider moving the media type discussion to early monday afternoon
Scribe: plh: can somebody do an update on MTOM?
... jjm: I could do it remotely
Philippe: Jacek: I can do it
Marsh: it's important to make progress on the media type issue
... patterns discussion on monday afternoon
... then wsdl validator tool demo by Arthur
... moved to monday when the attribute discussion got moved to tuesday
... tuesday are endpoint references and attributes
... will the attribute TF have a new proposal?
Umit: haven't talked to the other participants
Marsh: TF was to incorporate Sanjiva's remarks
... agenda for wednesday
... Arthur's proposal to unify property uris and qname uris
... at the end of the morning, WSDL component designators
Roberto: what about the potential new issues?
Marsh: if we have time, we can handle them at the end; some of them may be high priority and gain a place on the agenda
Scribe: arthur: meeting at the crowne plaza at 7pm on sunday to discuss r085
Marsh: for the january f2f, preference is Boston
Marsh: got responses to the comments on the qa guidelines
... Amy is the source of most of the comments but she's not around today
... will put this on the agenda in two weeks
... got request to implement the qa operational guidelines
... spec is in CR
... they'd like us to evaluate our current procedures against the guidelines
... and send back comments on the guidelines
... anybody else interested besides myself, philippe and dbooth?
Scribe: plh: we may have to take action based on the guidelines
Marsh: no requirement to implement the guidelines (yet)
Scribe: ACTION: Philippe, Marsh to review the QA operational guidelines
Marsh: chameleon imports
Roberto: proposal to remove the special xsd:import functionality
Arthur: Theoretical or
Roberto: Noticed when thinking about implementation
... Solution is to disallow chameleon imports, document the workaround...
Arthur: happy to resolve it now and disallow chameleon imports
Marsh: any objections?
Scribe: no answer
jeffsch: I will add this to the Editors TODO
Scribe: RESOLUTION: disallow chameleon import behavior
Marsh: renaming operation to messageExchange
... we decided not to open an issue last week, but got 30 messages in the meantime
... should we open an issue?
Tomj: I'm opposed to renaming operation
Umit: disagrees with tom
Tomj: it's a change from wsdl 1.1
dbooth: it's a syntactic question, let's vote on it at the face to face
Roberto: current names are fine
JacekK: if there are semantic changes, we need to see them in writing
Umit: operation is misleading, it has more semantics than intended
Marsh: various options: vote next week; record an issue, let the thread run, then decide
jeffsch: It will be issue 88
Marsh: let's wait a couple of weeks before deciding on issue 88
... should we discuss changing from WSDL 1.2 to 2.0?
plh: cannot get approval from the director before the f2f
Marsh: at the f2f, we can decide to recommend that we are allowed to change the name
Marsh: ACTION: Put 1.2/2.0 item on FTF agenda
Marsh: another argument, parallel between SOAP 1.2 and WSDL 1.2
... binding message reference in the component model
Roberto: Message definition and binding are no longer parallel. One now uses "name", the other uses "messageReference".
jeffsch: It will be issue 89
... Is this the proposal we're discussing? http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Sep/0077.html
Marsh: ACTION: Put #89 on FTF agenda
the agenda (10 minute item)
... next issue: change pattern to message exchange pattern
... any reason to consider this non-editorial?
... no objections, it's going to be an editorial issue
... other thread, consider using "service provider/requester"
dbooth: push back from amy against "requester"
... WSA decided on these terms months ago and reconfirmed them at the last f2f
Marsh: record an issue on this
Ingo: I like our terms better.
Marsh: do we want to drop this issue?
plh: should try to synchronize terms
... or write back to the wsa group and explain why we don't want to use them
Marsh: make it a new issue then
jeffsch: It will be issue 90
Marsh: "pattern description precludes multicast"
... is it editorial?
Philippe: re terms: see '"Roots" of confusion introduced at W3C' http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xsl-editors/2000JulSep/0084.html
dbooth: replied quoting the patterns doc, not the TF findings
Scribe: ACTION: dbooth to ping amy on whether she is satisfied that the current patterns draft adequately permits multicast
Marsh: any other topics we'd like to discuss?
Philippe: (forwarded in http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ac-forum/2000JulSep/0215.html)
jjm: "pattern" attribute - should we rename it?
Marsh: email from Sanjiva on merging the patterns document back
into part 1
... done for today, see you next week in Palo Alto!