Re: Summary: 22-24 Sept 2003 WS Desc FTF

*shrug*

Probably.  But outbound-first is unrelated to the "multis".  The
"multis" are in-multi-out, assuming only two participants, with the
service streaming messages until it (somehow) decides to stop, and
out-multi-in, assuming only two participants, with the
[not-acting-as-a-service-participant] replying to a single question from
the service with a barrage of answers, one after the other.

Whatever those were intended, they were not proposed or advocated by
TIBCO, and I can't defend them because I don't understand them, and
don't see any use in them.

I wasn't asked to supply justification for the outbound-first
operations, which TIBCO *has* advocated, strongly.  The disappearance of
the old multicast solicit response is a result of changes in the
definitions, such that the outbound-first operations are now,
theoretically (apart from the trifling problem that fault replaces
message is probably inappropriate), modeled by existing outbound-first
patterns.

Amy!
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:56:40 +0600
Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@watson.ibm.com> wrote:

> "Amelia A. Lewis" <alewis@tibco.com> writes:
> >
> > The "multis" are not multicast-related, and I was never a proponent
> > of them.  I do not, in fact, understand what networking paradigm
> > they are thought to embody, or who has advocated them.
> >
> > The "multis" appear to be serial unicast: a trigger message starts a
> > flow of messages from some other participant, which eventually
> > stops.  I feel certain that someone has a reason for proposing such
> > patterns, but it wasn't me, and I don't know what the reason was or
> > is.
>
> I'm confused Amy .. I recall that Tibco and MSFT had different
> interpretations of the old outbound operations and I had always
> thought that that difference was recognized by these two patterns.
>
> Is that not the case? Is there another pattern we should be
> including that has a single outbound / single inbound combination
> yet does something different that we should be including?
>
> Sanjiva.

Architect, TIBCO/Extensibility, Inc.