RE: IBM/MSFT whitepaper on secure, reliable, transacted Web serv ices

From: Champion, Mike <Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 18:54:21 -0400
To: "Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)" <RogerCutler@chevrontexaco.com>, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@watson.ibm.com>, www-ws-arch@w3.org, www-ws-desc@w3.org

As best I understand it, WS-Security provides a framework for exchanging /
negotiating security-related information, and SAML would describe one
particular type of payload for WS-Security messages, i.e. those that make
assertions about identity, authentication, authorization, etc.  They are
definitely complementary, not competitive: WS-Security talks about SOAP
headers and provides a generic security processing model; SAML doesn't know
anything about SOAP but knows a lot more about the details of security
semantics.