Re: On WSDL "operation"

From: Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@watson.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 21:52:53 +0600
To: "Jim Webber" <jim.webber@arjuna.com>, "'Mark Baker'" <distobj@acm.org>
Cc: "'WS Description List'" <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

"Jim Webber" <jim.webber@arjuna.com> writes:

> The crux of the matter is whether WSDL is a contract definition language
(it
> specifies documents), or an object IDL. I think the former, though it has
> consistently been abused as the latter.

It defines documents which some may choose to interpret as object
serializations. What's the problem with that?

"Abused" is a strong word for describing an interpretation that
most implementations have of the XML documents that are described
in WSDL: eventually these become data structures in a programming
language and a Java object is a lot more Java programmer friendly
than a DOM tree. That does not make WSDL an object IDL.