RE: On WSDL "operation"

From: Jim Webber <jim.webber@arjuna.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 10:10:23 +0100
To: "'Mark Baker'" <distobj@acm.org>, "'Savas Parastatidis'" <Savas.Parastatidis@newcastle.ac.uk>
Cc: "'Brian Connell'" <brian@westglobal.com>, "'WS Description List'" <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

Mark:

> Do I expect that it means that the response includes the result of the
> "foo" operation being invoked?  Or do I expect that it means that the
> string was printed, or is flashing on a screen someplace?

This has an application specific meaning, and so cannot define it at this
level. WSDL is a language for defining message exchanges that a service will
particate in, nothing more, nothing less. If you need to add additional
semantics to the exchange of those messages, then that's for the application
(or more likely some application-level framework) to deal with.

To paraphrase, "The first thing you need to understand is that there is no
operation."

Jim