RE: On WSDL "operation"

From: Brian Connell <brian@westglobal.com>
Date: 18 Sep 2003 17:53:01 -0400
To: "'WS Description List'" <www-ws-desc@w3.org>
Cc: "Champion, Mike" <Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com>, "Bijan Parsia" <bparsia@isr.umd.edu>

Jim,

> No. Services are entites which exchange messages, period.
I don't think anybody disagrees with the idea that a service interaction
between a Requester and a Provider involves the exchange of messages.  I
agree 100%.

The term 'messageExchange' is most definitely a step in the right direction,
away from the RPC implications of the term 'Operation'.

I believe that a more accurate term for 'Operation' than 'messageExchange'
is 'serviceInteractions'.

<interface>
   <serviceInteractions>
      <input message="..."/>
      <output message="..."/>
      <fault message="..."/>
   </serviceInteractions>
</interface>

This term is clearer in meaning, in that it defines the interactions that
may occur between a Requester and a Provider.

Brian