message reference component & syntax

From: Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@watson.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:49:19 +0600
To: <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

In the current draft we have operation/(input|output)/@messageReference
being optional. That doesn't make any sense as we have no rules
defined for how to compute its value if its not there. Life ain't
going to work without knowing what role a message plays in a
message pattern.

This is part of a larger set of problems with the syntax we
currently have. I will be sending a separate note out about that
but wanted to highlight this particular inconsistency first.