RE: On WSDL "operation"

From: Jim Webber <jim.webber@arjuna.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:48:10 +0100
To: "'Jacek Kopecky'" <jacek.kopecky@systinet.com>
Cc: "'WS Description List'" <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

Jacek:

I am still keen on grouping message exchanges into something bigger (what
WSDL 1.1 calls an "operation"), but I am increasingly of the opinion that
the word "operation" isn't right.

The problem with the word "operation" is that developers think of it as a
synonym for "method" or "function" when it isn't - it's a description of
exchanged messages.

As for MEPs, I'm not against defining them. I think you might be able to get
away with request-only and build patterns from that, but there may be value
in adding other common patterns too (e.g. request-response).

Jim