RE: On WSDL "operation"

From: Jim Webber <jim.webber@arjuna.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 09:32:11 +0100
To: "'Mark Baker'" <distobj@acm.org>
Cc: "'WS Description List'" <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

Mark:

> If so, then the only application semantics you would need are;
>
> - "submit document", where success means "submitted, thanks", and
> - "request document"

Not quite. I didn't go as far as to suggest a transport (as you did with you
"submitted, thanks" ack), or contrive any specific message exchange
patterns.

> That's HTTP POST and GET, respectively.

I'm not obsessed with HTTP, so if that's true then its by accident, not
design. I happen to think that our love affair with HTTP will fade
eventually, and I think the model of services-plus-messages is abstract
enough for this not to be an important at this level.

Certainly I am sure you could devise an excellent binding of this to HTTP,
but we're not thinking about concrete stuff in this thread.

> So I agree with you, but it doesn't appear that you
> appreciate the implications of what you're suggesting.

This is, I'm afraid, wrong on two points. Firstly we are not in complete
agreement on this. Secondly I fully appreciate the implications of what I'm
suggesting - it is not exactly rocket science, merely a simplification of
terminology to suit the services-plus-messages abstract model.

Jim