Re: Normative rpc rules for encodingStyle attribute are missing in Part 1

From: Roberto Chinnici <Roberto.Chinnici@Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 09:44:54 -0700
To: Umit Yalcinalp <umit.yalcinalp@oracle.com>
Cc: Jeffrey Schlimmer <jeffsch@windows.microsoft.com>, WS Description List <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

Umit Yalcinalp wrote:
> Looking at the latest part one doc, I don't see any of the rpc encoding
> rules that we have worked on via email and at the last f2f. For an
> outsider who reads the current document, there is no indication such
> that there is (going to be) an established URI that indicates RPC style
> encoding rules, and the set of rules that the operation (aka
> messageExchange) must adhere to. I thought we decided to add the rules
> and although the encodingStyle is optional, we also decided that the
> (missing) rules, if the value is present, were normative.
> Am I missing something or has the spec not included the rules yet?

The rules haven't been included yet. My recollection is that at the
last face-to-face we agreed we'd define them in the spec, but that
what we had at the time wasn't quite polished enough, so that we'd
finalize them at the following face-to-face. I can add an editorial
note before section 2.3.1 saying that we're waiting for the "RPC
encoding style" rules to be defined. How does that sound?

Roberto Chinnici
Java Web Services
Sun Microsystems, Inc.