Re: What does WSDL describe?

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:20:53 -0500
To: Jim Webber <jim.webber@arjuna.com>
Cc: "'Savas Parastatidis'" <Savas.Parastatidis@newcastle.ac.uk>, "'Anne Thomas Manes'" <anne@manes.net>, www-ws-desc@w3.org, distobj@acm.org

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 04:10:09PM -0000, Jim Webber wrote:
> Savas:
>
> > <interactions>
> >   <exchange>
> >     <input message="" />
> >   </exchange>
> >   <exchange>
> >     <input message="" />
> >     <output message="" />
> >   </exchange>
> > <interactions>
> >
> > Yet something else to consider :-)
>
> I like it. It is short (Anne's concern), and captures what a service does
> (exchanges messages). It is unambiguous too since it does not imply any
> semantics like certain other keywords do :-)

What about supporting both "operation" and "exchange", as they mean
different things, and it seems that folks want both.

"exchange", as I understand what Savas means by it, would be used for
what I call "state transfer".  But when there is an operation in effect,
"operation" would be used.

This would mostly address my issue, in fact, as by using one or the
other, a WSDL document would be resolving the previous ambiguity I
discussed.

Mark.