writing up faults and q about fault rules

From: Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@watson.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:19:30 +0600
To: <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

I'm writing the fault stuff and had a question. The syntax is:

<(in|out)fault messageReference="ncname" details="qname"/>

The question is: for an operation that uses a MEP which employs
message-triggers-fault, what is the relationship between the fault
direction ("in"/"out") with the direction of the referred to
message? It seems to me that if message-triggers-fault is used,
then the if the message is going from service to client (i.e.,
an "out" message), then the fault will travel in the opposite
direction, and vice-versa.

Is that correct? If so, then how should that fault be declared?
That is, if its an out-message, should the fault say <infault>
and vice-versa? It seems a bit counter-intuitive, but that seems
to be the right thing if we want to retain infault/outfault.

Note that for fault-replaces-message, the fault direction and
message direction MUST always be the same.

Did I mention that I favor just using "fault" and that I've
been campaigning to drop the virtual {direction} property of
message and fault reference components? ;-)