RE: What does WSDL describe?

From: <paul.downey@bt.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 12:06:14 +0100
To: <Savas.Parastatidis@newcastle.ac.uk>, <www-ws-desc@w3.org>
Cc: <jimwebber@hotmail.com>, <distobj@acm.org>

Savas

> I see from many messages in this and other discussion lists that many
people make the association between a WSDL "operation" and a method on
an object at the other end. Again, that's because the current tooling
out there has forced us to think of web services as objects with
methods,

Forced is a bit strong. There are toolkits which use WSDL to generate code but there are other platforms which use documents as their native format. I think both models have equal merit and Web Services has proved to be an way of enabling these two universes to communicate.

> We didn't send a document called "Buy a car" or "Buy a motorcycle". We
just sent a document called "OrderForm1".

I guess in this example i'd choose an operation name of "SubmitOrder" or "BuyVehicle", and let the content (partNumber or whatever) provide the constriction, but maybe i'm missing the point - I'll re-read the post and think some more about this!

Paul

--
Paul Sumner Downey
Web Services Integration