Re: new issue: drop {direction} property from message reference components

From: Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@watson.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 20:25:36 +0600
To: "Jeffrey Schlimmer" <jeffsch@windows.microsoft.com>, "Roberto Chinnici" <Roberto.Chinnici@Sun.COM>
Cc: <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

"Jeffrey Schlimmer" <jeffsch@windows.microsoft.com> writes:

> However, I do agree that the direction information is redundant between
> the operation children and the values specified within the pattern URI
> definition; if that redundancy bothers people, they we should consider
> removing the other source.

What I am trying to fix is the {direction} property of message
reference components. The point I keep making, but apparently not
getting through, is that message references *do not* have such
a property. Each message reference *absolutely* has a direction,
but that is *already* set by the pattern URI definition. Thus,
I believe that we should get rid of this property and simply
record in the spec that the element name ("input" vs. "output")
MUST match with the direction property of the message reference
as specified by the pattern URI definition.

To me. this is *totally* independent of what we do ref short-cut
syntax for common patterns.