Re: New issue [distobj@acm.org: Re: What does WSDL describe?]

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 09:38:31AM -0800, Jonathan Marsh wrote:
> I'd like to resurrect this thread so we can discuss the issue this week.

Thanks, Jonathan.

> Mark, I am still quite murky on precisely what change you're asking for
> in the language, which kind of processors would benefit from the change,
> and how.  Are you asking for a marker on each operation, indicating
> whether the operation "transfers" or "transports" state?

Almost, yes, but I was thinking it made more sense to be tagged
per-interface rather than per-operation.  I couldn't imagine an
interface that wouldn't have all operations tagged with the same
value.

BTW, there's also an interaction with the binding here, and depending
upon how issue 62 is resolved, any solution to this issue may need
to change.  It may even make sense to tackle them together.

>  What concrete
> benefit could a processor provide when given such information?

I believe it would have to be made available to the developer via an
API in the generated stub.  It would indicate to the developer whether
"success" or "failure" related to the generic processing of the
message, or to some explicit request for some action to occur embedded
within the message.

Mark.