RE: What WSDL defines - the diagram!

From: Savas Parastatidis <Savas.Parastatidis@newcastle.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:43:50 -0000
To: "David Booth" <dbooth@w3.org>
Cc: <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

Hi David,

> 3. DISAGREED: Your diagram seems to indicate that a WSDL document does
> define the behavior of the client, and I disagree with this.  A WSDL
> document certainly DOES (partially) define the behavior of the client,
> the same way that it (partially) defines the behavior of the
> service.  That's what MEPs are all about.  An MEP constrains the
> of BOTH parties.  If the client violates what the MEP requires, then
> client is not behaving in accordance with the WSDL document.  The same
> true of the service.
> A WSDL document inherently represents an agreement (or "contract")
> *two* parties: an (unnamed) client and the service.  It is written
> the
> perspective of the service, but it constrains both.

I see your point of view. However, as you suggested, we disagree (which,
of course, is fine:-)

A consumer (the client in your diagram) may interact with many services.
Suggesting that a WSDL document defines the behaviour of such a consumer
may give the wrong impression to the community.

A WSDL document defines the contract to which a service is prepared to
adhere. If a consumer agrees to the contract, then it has to respect it
through its participation to the defined message exchanges and through
the use of correct syntax/format for the documents being exchanged (the
messages). So, we talk about a consumer's participation in the
interaction patterns with respect to a particular contract. (If this is
what you were suggesting, then we are in agreement).

I think that we both have very similar understandings but we disagree on
the minor (and perhaps not very important) details of the wording.