Re: What WSDL defines - the diagram!

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 04:31:00PM -0000, paul.downey@bt.com wrote:
> i thought the 'protocol' was described by the binding  and MEP being used
> - but i guess that would mean we could start to debate what 'protocol' actually means :-)

Yep, that's a toughie.  I'm not going there. 8-)

> there does come a point when you're so losely coupled, you're not actually coupled at all..

Sort like "ls" and "sort"; no coupling at all, except that both are
developed to an abstraction with a single uniform semantic which permits
state to be transferred from one to the other, ala "ls | sort".  That's
exactly the kind of loose coupling that I want Web services/SOA to have.
But it's not what we've got.  It *requires* a constrained interface,
because that is how the common abstraction is reified.  In Unix, that
abstraction is the "pipe".  In Linda, it's the "space".  In the Web it's
the "resource".  In email, it's the "mailbox".  SOA needs one of those.

Mark.