W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-ws-desc@w3.org > May 2003

Minutes, 29 May 2003 WS Description WG telcon

From: <erik@lexmark.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 12:59:45 -0400
To: www-ws-desc@w3.org
Message-ID: <OFDDB672F7.C884A90C-ON85256D36.0059F044-85256D36.005D6802@lexmark.com>
W3C Web Service - Description weekly conference call
29 May 2003
See also: IRC Log <http://www.w3.org/2003/05/29-ws-desc-irc#T16-16-22>

Present:
Erik Ackerman          Lexmark
Mike Ballantyne        Electronic Data Systems
David Booth            W3C
Allen Brookes          Rogue Wave Software
Roberto Chinnici       Sun Microsystems
Martin Gudgin          Microsoft
Sandeep Kumar          Cisco Systems
Philippe Le Hégaret    W3C
Amelia Lewis           TIBCO
Steve Lind             AT&T
Lily Liu               webMethods
Jonathan Marsh         Chair (Microsoft)
Dale Moberg            Cyclone Commerce
Adi Sakala             IONA Technologies
Jeffrey Schlimmer      Microsoft
Igor Sedukhin          Computer Associates
Jerry Thrasher         Lexmark
William Vambenepe      Hewlett-Packard
Umit Yalcinalp         Oracle

Regrets:
Glen Daniels           Macromedia
Youenn Fablet          Canon
Dietmar Gaertner       Software AG
Steve Graham           Global Grid Forum
Tom Jordahl            Macromedia
Jacek Kopecky          Systinet
Kevin Canyang Liu      SAP
Ingo Melzer            DaimlerChrysler
Jeff Mischkinsky       Oracle
Jean-Jacques Moreau    Canon
Arthur Ryman           IBM
Sanjiva Weerawarana    IBM
Prasad Yendluri        webMethods, Inc.

3.  Review of Action items [.1].

RETIRED   2003-03-04: Editors to discuss markup for testable assertions
in the spec and come back with a strategy.
PENDING   2003-03-13: Don will write a proposal for annotating schema
with part information.
PENDING   2003-03-27: Philippe write up a proposal for embedding binary
data types in schema
DONE [.2] 2003-05-01: Jonathan to summarize WS Desc interest for XML
Schema subset to XML Schema WG.
DONE [.4] 2003-05-12: Editors to add (non-normative) pseudo-syntax
description of each component.
PENDING   2003-05-12: Jonathan to work on auto generating pseudo-syntax
from schema.
DONE [.4] 2003-05-12: Editors add more context to the specification -
provide more descriptive wording to make it
easier for someone to read the specification
and to relate to Web services etc. before
jumping into component-by-component
descriptions.
DONE [.3] 2003-05-12: Jonathan to take the above points to the XMLP/CG
worlds and see what to do next.
DONE [.4] 2003-05-12: Editors to reflect decision to have one interface
per <service>, add new attribute "interface" to
<service>, and add "resource" attribute to
<service>.
PENDING   2003-05-13: Umit to write up a variant of the endpoint
description proposal using schema annotation
syntax.
PENDING   2003-05-13: DaveO to send a motivating example for R131.
PENDING   2003-05-13: Jeffsch, Sanjiva, Glen, Umit, JJM to come up with
a proposal to get rid with the message construct,
and add programming hints.
PENDING  2003-05-14: Kevin to contact Sanjiva and try to merge
proposals.
PENDING   2003-05-22: Jacek to see how test assertions could be
expressed in RDF (and OWL in particular).

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/#actions
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ws-cg/2003May/0011.html
[.3] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-xml-protocol-wg/2003May/0063.htm
l
[.4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ws-desc/2003May/0051.html

4.      Administrivia

New member: Alan Davies (SeeBeyond) replacing Stephen White

a.  July FTF [.1] RSVP for Wed. dinner [.4]
Will do a SARS check next week and consider a fallback plan.
b. Publishing date.
Gudge has changes in current draft.
c. XMLP request for WSDL WG to develop WSDL 1.1 binding for SOAP 1.2 [.2]. 
 SoapBuilders proposal [.3]
Jonathan will tell them that the proposal looks fine.  Additional SOAP 1.2 
features will be addressed in WSDL 1.2.
d. OASIS-W3C Web Services technical plenary [.5]
Yes, we're interested.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/3/05/f2fJulyLogistics.htm
[.2] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-xml-protocol-wg/2003May/0064.html
[.3] http://groups.yahoo.com/group/soapbuilders/message/7431
[.4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ws-desc/2003May/0049.html
[.5] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ws-desc/2003May/0057.html

5.      Task Force Status
Skipped until next week

6.      New Issues
Skipped until next week

7.      Using RDF in WSDL
Skipped until next week

8.      Proposal: rationalization of faults in patterns.
Amy proposes that the MEPs can be simplified by observing that there are 
only two rules for faults used in the patterns [.1].  By listing these 
rules separately and only specifying which rule a given pattern uses, the 
patterns can be simplified.  David Booth strongly seconded the proposal. 
We will leave it on  the agenda for next week, as attendance is low this 
week.

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003May/0085.html

9.      Simplification for HTTP binding for WSDL 1.2
There was a consensus to adopt the proposal.  It is already in the current 
draft.

[.1]  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003May/0063.html

10.     Issue 6e: No matching part [.1]
Consensus to adopt Jeffrey's proposal [.2]

[.1] 
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/issues/wsd-issues.html#x6e
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003May/0067.html

11.     Issue 71: Optional message content in http:urlReplacement [.1]
Consensus to adopt Jeffrey's proposal [.2]

[.1] 
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/issues/wsd-issues.html#x71
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003May/0068.html

12.     Issue 2:  SOAPAction has been deprecated as of SOAP 1.2 [.1]
Skipped since Glen and Arthur are absent

13.     R085 Describing endpoint references [.1]
Waiting for proposal from Umit

[.1] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Apr/att-0088/R085-2003-04-22.html

14.     Binding enhancements
Waiting for Sanjiva & Kevin to consolidate proposals

15      Removing message
Waiting for proposal from Jeffrey
16      Moving MIME Type information to the Interface [.1]
Waiting for proposal from Philippe

[.1]  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Mar/0028.html
Received on Friday, 30 May 2003 13:18:06 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 7 December 2009 10:58:24 GMT