RE: Proposal for advertising QoS features of a Web service in WSDL

From: Jim Webber <jim.webber@arjuna.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 17:03:12 +0100
To: "'Glen Daniels'" <gdaniels@macromedia.com>, <www-ws-desc@w3.org>
Cc: "'Savas Parastatidis'" <Savas.Parastatidis@newcastle.ac.uk>

Glen:

> Cool stuff, but have you noticed that it's exactly what both
> WS-Policy and the Features/Properties stuff are trying to
> achieve?  On the P&F taskforce we are trying to come up with
> a way to integrate WS-Policy and the Features stuff into a
> single framework.  I would personally much rather y'all
> jumped into that discussion rather than coming up with Yet
> Another Way to do something we all clearly want to enable....

Yes, we saw the WS-Policy stuff, and the reason we came up with this was,
"WS-Policy stops short of specifying how policy expressions are discovered
or attached to a Web service."

>  If there are reasons you've discounted the P&F / WS-Policy
> work, we'd love to hear them, and if not, please join us and
> help make sure we come up with the right thing.

What we were thinking, and now looking at the document didn't get in there,
was that a WS-Policy description could be one of the things (maybe even
_the_ thing) that goes in our <supports> and <requires> elements. It might
well be the right grammer to use rather than allowing arbitrary XML as we do
now.

What do you reckon?

Jim