Re: Proposal for Describing Web Services that Refer to Other Web Services: R085

From: Arthur Ryman <ryman@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 13:44:42 -0400
To: "Sergey Beryozkin" <sberyozkin@zandar.com>
Cc: www-ws-desc@w3.org, www-ws-desc-request@w3.org

You are defining a dynamic binding discovery protocol, which is  beyond
the scope of R085. Recall that R085 is a WSDL requirement. It states that
a WSDL document must describe the endpoint. If you feel that dynamic
discovery is important, then I suggest you submit this to the WG as a new
requirement, and give a good motivating example. IMHO, I think it is
useful to dynamically retrieve the WSDL associated with an endpoint, not
just retrieve the binding.

I see a small problem with your proposed implementation. You say that the
binding is obtained by performing a retrieval on the URI of the endpoint.
However, you can't retrieve the URI unless you know the binding. You have
to assume some binding, e.g. if the URI uses http: then do a GET (possibly
with something appended to the URI, e.g. ?WSDL).

Arthur Ryman

"Sergey Beryozkin" <sberyozkin@zandar.com>
Sent by: www-ws-desc-request@w3.org
05/01/2003 11:48 AM