RE: Protocol binding and middleware

I also agree with Chris ;-)

But it dosen't solve the problem in terms of having generic application data
and generic headers that do not carry that data but can provide it.

For example, the application data may be <userName> but the protocol may
standardize some way to communicate it (e.g. <securityToken>) which does not
contain the <userName> value. On the other hand, since the token was
generated from a user name, the user name is known and can be passed to the
application.

So instead of saying <userName> goes in header <userName>, I want to say:
header <securityToken> guarantees that <userName> data could be handed over
to the application. And more interestingly, feature securityToken guarantees
that <userName> would be part of input/output. So by electing to use that
feature I do not need to pass that information as is in the header, but I
know that information is communicated somehow in the SOAP message (or
whichever other protocol we use).

I think the proposal for having feature/property defined for the interface
would solve that. It would allow me to require a feature at the interface
level which describes the relevant application data sent/received (in this
case <userName)). It would also allow me to reference all the headers used
for exchanging them and defined once (e.g. <securityToken>), and understand
that by using a certain security feature the SOAP message contains a set of
headers which are easily mapped to the application input/output.

arkin