RE: Minutes of W3C WSDWG Conference Call, June 26th, 2003

From the minutes, I observe:

<sanjiva> Q1: Should WSDL retain the information whether different endpoints
are related or not?
<sanjiva> Glenn: @ F2F we decided yes
<sanjiva> Jack: we would reject the idea of indicating relations b'ween
services until someone comes up with a definition of that relation and then
we'd reconsider.

<sdl-scribe> JM: out of time, can't reach decision

BEA strongly believes that this decision shouldn't be revisited, or it
should be re-affirmed.  The right decision was made at the F2F, and I'm not
sure what new information is available.

BTW, an analogy to Jack's request would be saying that we can't talk about
the equivalence of URIs until somebody defines what that equivalence means
across the entire web.  Well, it turns out that the equivalence relationship
between resources is defined by the URI owner and we don't need a global
definition of what equivalence means to properly get equivalence testing.
See the difference between equivalence testing and equivalence meaning?
It's up to the URI owner to make sure that it hands out URIs that are
equivalent if it wants other software to do equivalence.

In the case of WSDL, if a service provider wants to tell clients that
services are equivalent, we don't need to define that equivalence
relationship for every web service.  Leave it to the service provider.

And did I really see that targetResource got dropped?  Wow, that was a bit
of a surprise.  Is this what is causing the reexamination of the equivalence
of services decision?

Cheers,
Dave