RE: targetResource wording

Right, or at least the URI is whatever the service developer decides is the
"resource" whose identity needs to be exposed.  It could be software,
hardware, or an abstract concept, or anything else that the very general
term "resource" covers.
Or it could be not used at all if the application has no need for that
concept.  As David said, it's a *relationship* between a WSDL document and
the fundamental resource that the  service operates on, whatever the
designers conceive that to be

> I strongly disagree.  By that measure, everything which
> accepts a URI as an argument should be called "resource".

Uhh, if anything identified by a URI is not a resource, there is something
ontologically broken in the term Uniform Resource identifier :-)   I'm just
not following the objection here.  It seems well aligned with the very
abstract way that "resource" is used in the Webarch document to me.
Reasonable people can disagree on whether Best Practice is to expose the
implementation resources to direct manipulation or encapulate them as an
abstract resource and hide the implementation details, but I don't think
that the  WSD folks are using the term "resource" inappropriately here.