Re: targetResource wording

"Mark Baker" <distobj@acm.org> writes:

> I agree, I think this is the difference.

Wow, an agreement ;-).

> But if you restrict targetResource to only identifying "an interface
> that encapsulates", then it should not be called "resource" any more
> than one should use "bookResource" if the value is restricted to URIs
> that identify books.  Best to just say "book".

An interface is a set of things you can do to/with something. In WSDL
1.2, the <interface> constructs defines this. The role of the <service>
construct is to describe one or more implementations of that interface.
The thing that provides this implementation is what's identified
by targetResource. That same thing that offers this implementation may
also offer implementations of other target resources. In that case,
there would be another <service> element somewhere with the same
targetResource property.

> I recall some discussion on this point on www-ws-arch, without
> resolution, and some offline discussion with DaveH where he suggested
> that the value of targetResource *could* identify any resource.  But
> that's different than what you're saying above.  So let's pick one and
> run with it; if it really can identify anything, then I believe my
> previous concerns are relevent.  If it's only intended to identify "an
> interface that encapsulates", then let's give it an appropriate name
> that doesn't include the word "resource".

I think I addressed this above too.

Sanjiva.