Draft wording for targetResource attribute

From: David Booth <dbooth@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 15:19:02 -0400
To: www-ws-desc@w3.org

The current draft wording on targetResource[1] says: "The targetResource
attribute information item identifies the resource that the service is a
representation of."

1. This wording seems to be using the term "representation" in a way that
is different from the usage in the TAG's Web Architecture
document[2].  Wherever possible, I think we should be consistent with the
WebArch's use of terms.

2. This wording also seems unnecessarily restrictive.  The targetResource
indicates a relationship between the WSDL service and some other
resource.  Although one good use of it is to indicate that two WSDL
services operate on the same physical object (such as a printer), it seems
to me that: (a) the exact nature of the relationship will always depend on
the semantics of the particular application or service that is defined; and
(b) there may be other legitimate uses that don't necessarily involve the
same physical object.  For this reason I think we are best off saying as
little as possible about it in our spec.

Accordingly, I propose changing the above wording to something like: "The
targetResource attribute information item identifies a resource that is
related to the service.  The nature of the relationship depends on the
semantics of the service."

1. WSDL 1.2 draft:

2. TAG Web Arch: http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#representations

David Booth