Re: Agenda, 5 June 2003 WS Desc telcon

Arthur Ryman wrote:

> Umit,
>
> I replied to your point about whether R085 is dynamic or static in [1]
> which has a more accurate Subject.
>
> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Jun/0148.html
>
> Arthur Ryman

Arthur,

I disagree with your assesment. This is why I don't want to mislead the
wg by replying to the message you posted to that thread :-).  See my
comments below instead.

> Umit,
>
> The notes in the thread [1] are long and contain several issues, so
> I'm starting a new thread to discuss the subject issue. Here is the
> text of R085 taken from [2]:

The name of the thread you have chosen is misleading. I also don't think
that  threads based on ambiguous requirements would get us anywhere.
Read on.

> R085
> The description language SHOULD allow describing Messages that include
> references (URIs) to typed referents, both values and Services. (From
> PP. Last discussed 11 April, 2002.)
>
> I'll parse this.
>
> "The description language" == WSDL
>
> "SHOULD allow describing Messages that include references (URIs) to
> typed referents," == a Web service message may contain a URI, in which
> case WSDL should be able to describe the type of thing identified by
> the URI
>
> "both values" == the URI could refer to a document, in which case we
> should be able to describe its data type, e.g. MIME type or  XSD
>
> "and Services" == the URI could refer to a Web service, in which case
> we should be able to describe to its WSDL interface and binding
>
> This requirement clearly states that the WSDL document should be able
> to describe the type of a Service refered to by a URI. This is static
> typing.

 The requirement says that the language should allow references to typed
referents. The only thing it says is that the URI must represent a value
or a service. The requirement as the way it is written does not state
that the type of the service should be inferred as well. It only says a
reference must be identified as a service, not the type of the service.
So this last bit is not inferrable from the definition.

Further, the subject of your thread [1] made one more inference that
does not appear possible with this definition. R085 does not say
anything about endpoint URIs. At best, R085 is talking about
distinguishing between values and references. What if the reference is
by using a URI which describes a service, not the URI of the endpoint?
The description still applies. I think you made this inference because
your proposal is to indicate the types and bindings for a URI which is
in essence corresponds to an endpoint URI. However, the requirement does
not indicate a solution.

> This requirement does NOT state that the Message should be
> self-describing, i.e. that by looking at the message instance that
> contains the URI we can also find the additional type information,
> i.e. WSDL interface and binding. That would be dynamic typing.

The requirement as it is written states at best that one should be able
to treat service references differently than values. Typed URIs are a
problem in general.

> However, I agree that the dynamic case is important and hence
> WS-Addressing [3]. IMHO, it would make sense for the WG to address
> that case.

I am glad that we are in agreement there with respect to the importance
of dynamic addressing. However, I am afraid that making the reference to
WS-Addressing is not useful to me or to anyone else. This is not a WS
specification, or a w3c specification. Further, the IP requirements may
make it nonusable.  Just referencing to it does not allow anyone who
wants to be able to use a web service reference. What can I do with it?
At the moment, nothing. Maybe you can help with this as you have been
sending a reference to the document. May I also request you not to send
a reference to WS-Addressing again unless there is a clear way for rest
of us to use it?

I propose that we have an issue with respect to R085. From this
discussion, it is obvious to me that it is ambiguous and is subject to
different interpretations as you have  illustrated. I would like be able
to define web service references as a first class citizen in WSDL and
use them uniformly, statically or dynamically. Having one solution for
one but not the other is at best a half baked solution. Hence the
requirement should reflect both cases.

Cheers,

--umit

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Jun/0148.html