Value of @processContents: Recommend "strict"

From: Arthur Ryman <ryman@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 14:29:56 -0400
To: www-ws-desc@w3.org
Since we are using wildcards for extensions instead of substitution
groups, we need to decide on how extensions get validated. The <xs:any>
and <xs:anyAttribute> elements have the @processContents attribute which
controls validation as follows [1]:

{process contents} controls the impact on ·assessment· of the information items allowed by wildcards, as follows:
There must be a top-level declaration for the item available, or the item
must have an xsi:type, and the item must be ·valid· as appropriate.
No constraints at all: the item must simply be well-formed XML.
If the item, or any items among its [children] if it's an element information item, has a uniquely determined
declaration available, it must be ·valid· with respect to that definition, that is, ·validate· where you can, don't worry when you can't.

The default value is strict. The value used in WSDL 1.1 [2] is the
default, i.e. strict. Since tools need to process WSDL, it makes sense for
extensions to be validated as much as possible by the XML schema
validator. Therefore, we should use strict. This choice places a burden on
extension authors to provide a schema for the extension, but the benefit
is simplified extension processing code in tools (less need for hand-coded
validity checking).

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#Wildcards
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/NOTE-wsdl-20010315#A4.1

Arthur Ryman