Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 23:56:02 -0400
Cc: www-ws-desc@w3.org
To: Umit Yalcinalp <umit.yalcinalp@oracle.com>
From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@isr.umd.edu>
Subject: Re: Can someone recap the differences between @serviceGroup vs. definitions-targetNamespace    ?

[...]

---Summary

1) "targetResource", et al, is at best suggestive of some relationship,
and that suggestion is not uniform across members of the WG. It
explicitly is left undefined with the possible relationships (as
mentioned in the text) ranging from "representing", to "operating", to
"managing". I contend that it's not well or clearly defined in the
spec, and it's very unclear to me, personally, what relationships are
intended.

2) serviceGroup defines a set membership relationship only and leaves
the rationale for that grouping for out-of-wsld-spec-band
determination, say, by some RDF. It is not illdefined or undefined and
it clearly communicates that if you want a group with some particular
semantics you should check the out of band info. It also provides a
hook by providing a uri that can be the subject of RDF assertions
detailing the purpose of the grouping and what further information can
be infered from that grouping

3) Having only one serviceGroup is wrongheaded. If having more than one
is cumbersome, then that suggests we should leave grouping to things
other than WSDL.

4) If there is a grouping/grouping purpose that is either supremely
common, highly related to other bits of WSDL, etc. then that *may* be
an argument for privileging it. But I would hold that a) the barrier to
such an asymmetric treatment should be high and b) that the semantics
of the distinguished rationale should be well defined in the spec. See
1 for why targetResource currently fails.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.

Forwarded message 1