RE: proposal for eliminating <message>

From: Jim Webber <jim.webber@arjuna.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 12:14:45 +0100
To: <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

> I agree with others that it is indeed a concern of ours. Yes,
> I am fully aware of the kinds of changes this will mean to
> BPEL for sure, but there are other changes that affect them
> and things like JAX-RPC too. So there's no question that
> things that depend/build on WSDL 1.1 will have to go thru
> major changes/upgrades as well.

What Sanjiva says is patently true. There is so much that is changing in
WSDL 1.2 compared to 1.1 that I am of the opinion that it is more than
simply a point release.

People expect point releases to look and feel mostly the same, perhaps a few
additions and a few bug fixes, but much of the excellent work that has
happened in this group has pushed WSDL far past that. A trivial illustration
of the magnitude of change is the renaming of portTypes. Less trivial
features are things like removal of message.

If the outcome of this current round of work does indeed look significantly
different to WSDL 1.1 then I really think the group should consider renaming
it WSDL 2.0 since this would provide a clear line in the sand for the
development community.

The benefits are that backwards compatibility (and its myriad of sub-issues)
go away. The downside is that the community might not be prepared to adopt
such a big new step as a 2.0 version (though this is effectively what they
will get even if it is still called 1.2).

What do people think? Is this a legitimate move within the W3C regulations?

Jim