Re: Some notes on the Request-Response MEP, prompted by asynchronicity

Amelia A. Lewis wrote,
> On Thursday, January 23, 2003, at 01:00 PM, Miles Sabin wrote:
> > But I read your mail as asserting that this would be needed for any
> > conceivable asynchronous protocol (hence Joe Random), and that's
> > not true.
>
> I am asserting that any given MEP must account for multiple network
> paradigms, and not implicitly tie the definition to a particular
> paradigm by failing to expose properties.

This cuts both ways ... exposing protocol-specific properties can also
implicitly tie the definition to a particular paradigm. And trying to
generalize across all protocols will have the usual problem of
generalization: you can use the intersection of all properties, which
is too small to be useful; or you can use the union of all properties,
which is too unweildy to be useful; or you can try to find an awkward
compromise somewhere in the middle which will probably satisfy noone,
but with a bit of luck might be just about good enough.

I don't think there's any easy answer here ... tho' if you're saying
that the status quo is too HTTP centric, then I'd agree.

Cheers,

Miles