Re: Some notes on the Request-Response MEP, prompted by asynchronicity

From: Miles Sabin <miles@milessabin.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 16:04:44 +0000
To: www-ws-desc@w3.org

Amelia A. Lewis wrote,
> 3. Ouch.  I don't think that a protocol binding can specify this.
> Looks like we need to ask those nice people at wsdesc how one can
> represent a message timeout per-operation (or between any two
> messages in an operation? ).  Maybe a service could set a default?
> But it isn't reasonable for the JRP binding to establish timing; it's
> going to be at least
> service-dependent, and prolly operation-dependent.
>
> 4. As in 3.  It sort of needs to be in the WSDL, doesn't it, so that
> the client can know when to give up.

I'm not sure I understand why this is any worse than "Depends on the
stack. As long as the socket stays open." from the HTTP case.

Suppose wsdesc added a message timeout: would you expect that to be used
to specify HTTP client/server/proxy connection timeouts? How would you
estimate the timeout value at any given time? Could you be sure that
even a conservative estimate stays valid (consider: an admin tweaks a
the connection timeout of a third-party proxy)?

Cheers,

Miles