Re: MEP proposal

Amy, I have two questions (with some discussion) below:

1) Are WSDL MEPs from the point of view of the service?

SOAP MEPs (similar to what I would call abstract MEPs) are describing
the message flow among a given set of nodes (two or more, usually). They
informally distinguish between different messages, and they formally
distinguish between different nodes. SOAP MEPs have no notion of a
service.

Now WSDL MEPs (the ones necessary for describing operations) have a
notion of a service (a special kind of node, I guess) and describe only
the part of the appropriate abstract MEP that actually concerns the
service.

The attached image shows two options of what WSDL MEPs are. The SOAP MEP
in the image (green/biggest box) has three nodes (to better demonstrate
my point), but the WSDL MEP can be understood to have the service and
"the world" (blue/middle box) or only two communicating nodes
(pink/small box). Now which ones were you doing? Which ones do we want
to do? Which ones do we want abstract?

IMHO the smalles ones are interfaces, the middle ones are interactions,
the big ones are systems. If we do interfaces, we do the smallest ones.
Also, I believe abstract MEPs should be the big ones; probably providing
decomposition into both smaller types. WSDL MEPs would then reference
the component MEPs, not just the whole big MEPs.

2) Was the Scottsdale decision meant to forbid more-than-two-nodes WSDL
MEPs or was it just that this WG would not specify them?

If such MEPs are forbidden, then surely we are doing the smallest MEPs.
What you have written below seems to suggest this approach.

If more-than-two-nodes MEPs are just out of scope, we would be doing the
bigger (blue) MEPs. If so, cases with more than two nodes should still
be considered so that we don't end up with something that makes
describing/using such MEPs complex or impossible.

I hope we'll soon all be clear (and it may be just me who needs
clarification) on all this. 8-)

                   Jacek Kopecky

                   Senior Architect, Systinet Corporation
                   http://www.systinet.com/