RE: MEP proposal

Everything is described from the POV of the service. Therefore input
messages are messages the service accepts, output messages are messages
the service sends. I don't see any need at the WSDL level to say anymore
than that.

> Although I first thought it's OK, the MEP8 below suggests
> otherwise. Without the comments specifying the
> sources/destinations, the MEP would be extremely abstract and
> confusing.

I think the intent is that the MEPs at the operation level in WSDL be
abstract.

> Why does a fault reference refer to possibly multiple
> messages? Why is this not similar to normal message
> references? What does it mean if a fault reference 'C' refers
> to messages 'M1' and 'M2'?

It means that either message M1 or message M2 can appear at point 'C' in
the MEP. We ( Amy, Jeff and I ) wrestled for a while with how to deal
with faults and this is one approach, which we think captured the intent
of the direction decided at the FTF. We also thought a little about
generalizing message references to allow multiple messages, but I don't
think it makes the 80/20 cut.

> Will MEPs and message references in the MEPs document be
> named in any more sensible way? (I believe naming was just
> put off 'till later - a good idea there.)

Naming the MEPs something other than MEP1-7? I don't really mind. I
would suggest we leave them as is because then they don't accumulate any
baggage due to people reading particular properties into a particular
name.

Naming the message references something other than 'A', 'B', 'C'? I
guess we could, again I don't really see the benefit, they're just there
to allow us to sequence things.

> Who will specify (and where will that be) the relationships
> between SOAP MEPs, possible abstract MEPs (if anyone comes up
> with such beasts) and WSDL MEPs?

WSDL bindings will specify the relationship between the MEPs at the
operation level in WSDL and the SOAP MEPs.

> For example, SOAP
> Request/Response maps to MEP2, SOAP Response maps either to
> MEP4 or MEP2, and a potential SOAP Req/Resp MEP involving one
> intermediary would map to two WSDL MEPs - MEP2 for the
> service and MEP8 (below) for the intermediary. And that's not
> considering describing the client in a WSDL. 8-)

We agreed that WSDL describes things from the POV of the service.

> MEP8: exactly two or four messages:
>   1) an in message A        // coming from client
>   2) optionally
>     i) an out message B     // going to service
>    ii) one of the following
>       x) an in message C    // coming from service
>       y) an in fault D      // coming from service
>   3) one of the following
>     i) an out message E     // going to client
>    ii) an out fault F       // going to client
>
> (just a fast-and-dirty hack of an MEP)

I don't see the need for such a MEP in our spec for a couple of reasons.
We agreed at the FTF to describe MEPs for 2 nodes only initially and I
think the presence of intermediaries should be transparent to a given
MEP.

> The comments above (after //s) might be put in a note below
> the text of the MEP as the expected usage, or something.
>
> I guess that's all of it. No flames, I must be having a bad day. 8-)
>
> Best regards,
>
>                    Jacek Kopecky
>
>                    Senior Architect, Systinet Corporation
>                    http://www.systinet.com/
>

> On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 18:11, Martin Gudgin wrote:
> > We agreed at the Scottsdale FTF to incorporate MEPs into
> our design.
> > Amy, Jeff and I have done some work on this. Proposed
> changes to part
> > 1 are detailed in[1,2] using diff markup. Proposed
> definitions for the
> > 7 MEPs we decided to define are at[3,4].
> >
> > Comments, suggestions, flames etc. to the usual address.
> >
> > Gudge
> >
> > [1]
> >
> http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/>
~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/wsdl12/wsdl12.xml?rev

http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/wsdl12/wsdl12-meps.xml?

http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/wsdl12/wsdl12-meps.html