Re: Proposal for Describing Web Services that Refer to Other Web Services: R085

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 23:19:15 -0400
Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org> wrote:
> They can identify any thing, if that's what you mean by "universal".

TimBL's original proposal was for "universal" identifiers/locators.  The IETF rejected that term, replacing it with "uniform".  They are uniform; they are not universal.

> If you mean that URIs aren't universal in the sense that it isn't
> practical to turn any addressing scheme into them, I can't disprove
> that, but I can challenge you to provide an example where it would not
> be practical.

I already have done so.  Please examine J2EE services, particularly JMS, in their current state, and in at least two implementations.  At the moment, there is no common URI scheme.  I can write a service and make a scheme up, but so can anyone else who wants to.  As URIs, one-offs are useless; the whole point of them is that they are uniform across equivalent services.

It is perfectly straightforward to retrieve JMS destinations using the standardized address retrieval semantics defined for JMS, and it is quite straightforward to represent that as a complex type in XML.

Architect, TIBCO/Extensibility, Inc.
alewis@tibco.com