Re: Proposal for Describing Web Services that Refer to Other Web Services: R085

Hi Arthur,

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 04:03:37PM -0400, Arthur Ryman wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand where you are going with wsep: Is it supposed to
> be a super scheme that unifies all the current non-URI schemes?

Not exactly.  "http" is a super scheme, though (and the only one,
currently).

The purpose of "wsep" was basically just an aid to get folks thinking
about the role that the URI scheme plays in identification, and how that
relates to service interfaces and using the service.  If the opportunity
presented, I would have proposed that a new URI scheme be used for each
WSDL document, so that you could, for example, say;

  stock-quote-service://example.org/quotes

And then associate (via public registration) the "stockquote" URI scheme
with the SOAP protocol and some WSDL.  This would enable any client
programmed to know about SOAP + stock-quote WSDL document + URI scheme,
to use any so-identified stock quote service without any additional
information (i.e. enable late binding).

Thanks for hearing me out.  I wasn't expecting it to get any support.
I propose funny things like this to try to disturb established mental
models of distributed computing that prevent so many from seeing how
Internet scale systems are designed, and why the Web is so special
amoungst Internet scale systems.

MB