Re: Proposal for Describing Web Services that Refer to Other Web Services: R085

Amy,

Thx. I think you correctly conveyed the intent of the proposal.

I am personally a fan of URIs, but I don't think the WSD WG is in a
position to dictate system architecture. The mission of the WG is to
provide a technology that can be used to describe what people are doing. I
think it is valid to design WSDL so that it is easy to describe Web
services that conform to Web architecture, and possible to describe Web
services that do not conform to Web architecture. That is why the proposal
is to allow both xsd:anyURI and other domain specific complex types. If
those complex types solve a real problem they will become standardized. If
developers see the benefit of pure URI addressing then the complex types
will fade away.

The WSDL spec at a minimum should require WSDL processors to understand
xsd:anyURI. Organizations like WS-I can define profiles that augment the
addressing scheme with other complex types if there is a demand. As long
as WSDL enables that, we have done our job.

Arthur Ryman

"Amelia A. Lewis" <alewis@tibco.com>
Sent by: www-ws-desc-request@w3.org
04/25/2003 12:07 PM