RE: Quality of Service

From: <info@johanpeeters.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 13:54:36 -0700 (PDT)
To: jeffsch@windows.microsoft.com
Cc: mrbannon@uwaterloo.ca, www-ws-desc@w3.org

There has been some discussion at the OASIS WSS TC about QoP (Quality of Protection) which I would consider as a subset
of QoS. My understanding is that they are currently thinking of introducing a new binding, secure SOAP, that would have
extensions allowing you to specify the QoP. Is this the way to go? I personally would hope for a more orthogonal
definition of QoP (and other QoS aspects for that matter). I.e. a QoP can apply to a web service regardless of whether
its wire format is SOAP or not. It seems to me that WS-Policy might just do that.
But that is by-the-by. What I really want to know is this: what are the respective responsibilities of the W3C WS
description WG and the OASIS WSS TC working group wrt QoP/QoS descriptions and how will the pieces ever fit together?
Will a WSDL 1.2 specification tell us, for example, whether a secure SOAP message is required to access a service? What
if the binding is not SOAP?