Re: Use of mime:mimeXml in WSDL 1.1 MIME bindings.

Arthur,

The part that confuses me is that section 5.3 in [1] says:

"If the return format is XML, but the schema is not known ahead of time,
the generic mime element can be used indicating text/xml:

<mime:content type="text/xml"/>
"

and 5.6 says:

"To specify XML payloads that are not SOAP compliant (do not have a SOAP
Envelope), but do have a particular schema, the mime:mimeXml element may
be used to specify that concrete schema."

So 5.3 says that when mime:content (for text/xml) is used there is no
associated schema. This isn't true, since there will be a schema
associated with the part that is being bound to the particular
mime:part.

Whereas, 5.6 says that the payload cannot be a SOAP envelope. What
happens if the schema says that it is a SOAP envelope (which is indeed
posible since SOAP envelope is XML with an associated schema :) ).
Ofcourse such an Envelope will not be the root part and will be "payload".

I am not sure if the authors of WSDL 1.1 saw the two
(<mime:content type="text/xml"> and <mime:mimeXml>) as different. But,
it seems to me that mime:mimeXml is syntactic sugar for
<mime:content type="text/xml">.

Given that mime:content is used for types other than text/xml, WS-I will
have to fix/address the "bug" in section 5.3. It was not clear to me
that there was any value in fixing the "bug" in 5.6 (the assumption that
I had made was that mime:mimeXml was not being used by anyone - which
as your email indicates is not true).

-Anish