extension attributes in WSDL 1.2

From: <jbbkfri@netzero.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 18:59:07 GMT
To: www-ws-desc@w3.org

In section 4 (Language Extensibility and Binding) of the base 1.2 WSDL specification, the optional wsdl:required attribute is described as being used with a value of "true" to indicate that a WSDL processor must recognize and be able to process the extension element that wsdl:required is used on.  Omitting wsdl:required is equivalent to stating it with a "false" value.

For extension attributes, there is no method prescribed for determining if it is required or not, so I'm assuming that a WSDL processor is not required to understand or process extension attributes.

In either case, nothing is said regarding the required or recommended behavior when a WSDL processor can not make sense of an attribute extension or element extension that is not required.  I would like to be able to make use of an extension and be assured that processors that did not recognize it would ignore it and continue processing.  It seems that at a minimum, the spec should indicate that a WSDL processor SHOULD ignore unknown extensions.

Can anyone tell me what the intended behavior is when processing non-required extensions?

Tnanks,
Barry F