RE: Importing schemata into WSDL

Martin:

I understand how you can argue this position.  In XML Schema spec (part 1),
section 4.2.3, we have:

"The ·schema components· (that is {type definitions}, {attribute
declarations}, {element declarations}, {attribute group definitions}, {model
group definitions}, {notation declarations}) of a schema corresponding to a
<schema> element information item with one or more <import> element
information items must include not only definitions or declarations
corresponding to the appropriate members of its [children], but also, for
each of those <import> element information items for which clause 2 above is
satisfied, a set of ·schema components· identical to all the ·schema
components· of I."

So all the schema components that are <import>ed are available to reference
by the importing schema.  In addition, an XML instance document that uses
the a.xsd schema must be able to access components within all three
namespaces.

<aNS:x xsi:schemaLocation"a.xsd" xmlns:aNS="fooA" xmlns:bNS="fooB"
xmls:cNS="fooC">
 <bNS:y>
  <cNS:z/>
 </bNS:y>
</aNS:x>

However, as you indicated below, a.xsd can't reference c.xsd, even though
b.xsd <import>ed c.xsd.  So by that argument, I don't see why bar.wsdl
should be able to reference anything in b.xsd if a.xsd is included inline
within <types>.  I would think it should mirror XML Schema, and require a
separate <import> of b.xsd in order to reference those components directly.
I guess I see a difference between reference the component definitions (as
referenced in schemas or wsdls), and actual use of the components in an
instance doc.

Don