RE: Port type extension proposal

Hi Martin,

I agree that WSDL should have a notion of portType extensions
based on the inheritance model. However, I am against the idea of
dropping the notion of ServiceType abstraction. PortTypes describe
the capability of a service (or role in some sense), where a capability
when extended, defines the sub-capability (ala subclass). However,
we need a container to describe related though disjoint capabilities
(or portTypes). Disjoint capabilities mean that a Service has two
capabilities
but are mutually exclusive. We may need to describe different metadata
associated with
different capabilities. For example, I may define a define 2 capabilities of
a service:
(i) captures the behavior description in normal mode of operation
(ii) captures the behavior description in abnormal mode of operation - as in
Failover
or Disaster situation.
Clearly, the SLAs may be different in (i) (24x7) vs the (ii) (20x6). One
might
use HTTP binding the other may use a different binding. Remember it is the
same
Service from the consumer's perspective.

By throwing away the ServiceType abstraction, we are disabling modeling of
above scenarios. WSDL should definitely enable Programming Language
structure & artifacts
but much more.

BTW, I had these discussions after F2F with Steve and Joyce.

Looking forward to your (& WG members') comments.

Thanks,
Sandeep Kumar