Re: Proposal for the removal of the message construct from WSDL 1.2

From: Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@watson.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 11:54:36 -0500
To: "Martin Gudgin" <mgudgin@microsoft.com>, "WS-Desc WG \(Public\)" <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

Hi Gudge,

> Was discussed at FTF:
>
> <xs:complexType name='foo'>
>   <xs:sequence>
>     <xs:element name='a' />
>     <xs:element name='b' />
>     <xs:element name='c' />
>   </xs:sequence>
> </xs:complexType>
>
> <wsdl:input type='foo' />

What is 'foo' the type of though? Wouldn't it be the type
of the SOAP:Body element? If so it conflicts with the
already existing XSD type of SOAP:Body .. one wouldn't
be able to validate with this for example. (Maybe I didn't
understand the answer.)

> Alternatively use named model groups:
>
> <xs:group name='foo'>
>   <xs:sequence>
>     <xs:element name='a' />
>     <xs:element name='b' />
>     <xs:element name='c' />
>   </xs:sequence>
> </xs:group>
>
> <wsdl:input group='foo' />

Hmm. I don't know enough about groups to know what that would
mean .. does this amount to saying that the input can be
described as a type, element *or* group now? That seems to be
making things worse, not better.

> soap:header already refers directly to element/type.

No, to a message. (?)

> Personally I'd model attachments using an element decl and figure out
> the actual serialization in the binding.

How would that relate to the <wsdl:input type=> thing? Where would it
go I mean. Also, what would you put as the type of the element decl?