Possible new LC issue: Can SOAP header blocks exist outside SOAP modules?

From: Jean-Jacques Moreau <moreau@crf.canon.fr>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 09:46:44 +0100
To: Dear XMLP Comments <xmlp-comments@w3.org>, XMLP Public <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
CC: WSD Public <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

Dear all,

An interesting question/issue has come up during yesterday's WSD
face-to-face: can SOAP 1.2 header blocks exist independently from
SOAP 1.2 modules? I.e. can you define a new header block without
writing down on paper the corresponding module specification
*and* without assigning a new module URI?

I think the spec is at best unclear on this topic. Beyond
clarification, the real question is: as a WG, how do we feel
about this issue? Since we have taken all the trouble of
describing modules in a normative fashion, probably for a good
reason, do we still want allow "independent" header blocks, or do
we think they should be discouraged?

I am cc'eing ws-desc since the WSD WG is interested in this
topic, as part of its work of describing SOAP features in WSDL
1.2. However, I am not raising this issue on behalf of the WSD WG
(although the WSD might raise this issue itself in the future).

Please remove xmlp-comments from any further discussion.

Cheers,

Jean-Jacques.